Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Dixie Riddle Cups Commercial (1973)


Dixie Riddle Cups. Is it time for a comeback? I don't know.

Just imagine, a couple of today's kids, reading off some corny old jokes off of 5 ounce paper cups. Ha ha ha! Well, that was entertainment. At least it was in 1973, waaaaay back in those pre-MTV, pre-iPad days!

Now here's the problem: the first thing ya wanna do is open up the box (the cups came in a box, not in a clear plastic bag). True riddle fans will want to get their grubby mits on each and every cup, thus destroying any reasonable level of sanitation Mom wants.

And here's the other problem -- no -- not a problem ---actually, the ugly truth behind the Dixie Riddle Cups: there weren't hundreds of unique riddle cups in that box. After six or eight cups, the jokes begin to repeat. Pretty chintzy, huh?

Here's a commercial for Dixie Riddle Cups, as well as (for some reason, I don't know why) a minute or two of a BEWITCHED episode.



Image of Dixie Riddle Cup package at top from The Imaginary World, which is a gallery full of "food packaging featuring characters, unusual packaging and misc. premium offers."

I couldn't find a site that had the actual, readable cups to give you a sample of how the jokes, but they were about on par with:

What gets whiter the dirtier that it gets?
A chalkboard

What is the moon worth?
$1, because it has 4 quarters.

What has no beginning, end, or middle?
A doughnut.

What has to be broken before it can be used?
An egg.

3 comments:

cartoonist said...

I had those cups. I loved them.

Tony Murphy

cartoonist said...

I had those cups. I loved them.

David said...

I loved them as a kid, but I don't remember seeing the plates and bowls. Maybe we could only afford the cups.