Tuesday, November 22, 2011

SATURDAY EVENING POST Cartoons



It was only 4:30 in the afternoon yesterday but it felt like 9pm all of a sudden. Up here, it gets dark way too early now, and as soon as it's dark, it suddenly feels much later. Makes me yearn for summer when I could garden until 9 at night. (I could garden til 9, not that I did garden til 9.) Anyway, that's why the above illustration by Constantin Alajálov of a hot day on the Piazza della Signoria of Florence from a 49 year old magazine was a pleasure to see.

I picked up a couple of POST's from an antique store in York, ME.



So that we all may feel more summery, here are all of the cartoons from the June 30-July 7, 1962 issue of the SATURDAY EVENING POST. Some are summery, some are not. Regardless, they are worth a linger. And it's a pleasant reminder of when most of the major mags used gag cartoons.

No comments: