Tuesday, January 17, 2012

SEX REARS ITS LOVELY HEAD edited by Jerome Beatty, Jr. Part 2


Part one is here.

Part three is here


Part four is here.




Here are some more cartoons from the 1956 paperback SEX REARS ITS LOVELY HEAD edited by Jerome Beatty, Jr. and copyright that same year by Bantam Books, Inc.

I would add some fascinating commentary but (a) I am running late for an appointment this morning and (b) everyone just reads the cartoons anyway.















Part one is here.

Part two is here.

Part three is here


Part four is here.


My thanks to Ed Tucciarone for passing along this book to me. Thank you, Ed!

6 comments:

Marc Tyler Nobleman said...

I love this but yikes, I fear for my credibility as a cartoonist. I don't get the following:

"Oh my gosh Maureen..."
"I am Professor Sampson..."
"Oh you're just saying that."

Help!

Eli Stein said...

I'll take a stab at helping, Marc . . .
First of all, I don't understand the humor in VIP's cartoon, at all.
Second, the "Oh my gosh Maureen . . ." -- the nerd guy speaking is trying to make a fire by rubbing two sticks together, and he's being pre-empted by the guy with the cigarette lighter.
Third, the "I am Professor Sampson . . . " -- there was a time when schoolgirls developed crushes on their handsome teachers, so this prof is simply laying out some ground rules. I guess schoolgirls still do this, by the way.
Hope this helps.
Eli

Marc Tyler Nobleman said...

Oh, thanks Eli!

Sign up for Blogger said...

"Oh my gosh Maureen..."

Maureen goes for hunk with lighter, rather than waiting for nerd to make fire.

Sign up for Blogger said...

"Oh my gosh Maureen..."

Maureen goes for hunk with lighter, rather than waiting for nerd to make fire.

Sign up for Blogger said...

> I don't get the following:
> "Oh my gosh Maureen..."

Maureen ditches nerd trying to make fire and moves on to hunk with lighter.