Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Nicole Hollander: 'I've never drawn this way before'


Above: Nicole Hollander and Ailson Bechdel from the 30th Anniversary Gala at Women and Children First. Photo by Kat Fitzgerald

From today's Chicago Tribune: Nicole Hollander on creating autobiographical comics at the Ragdale artist colony in Lake Forest, IL.

I've never drawn this way before. I bought a roll of very fine drawing paper at Utrecht Art Supplies on Wabash near Monroe. The young man who sold me the paper insisted that I take the roll of Atlantic Masters. "It's the best," he said. He selected a set of charcoal sticks and pencils and erasers. He worried that my plan, which included cutting the paper into 161/2-inch strips, 7 feet long, would mean that the deckle edges would be eliminated on one side of each strip. I distracted him or I might be there, discussing it still.

Her article is here.

Her comic strip SYLVIA at GoComics.com.

No comments: