Monday, May 21, 2012

Report: Maine Comics Arts Festival May 20, 2012




Some of the best cartoonists today (and great friends): John Klossner, Jeff Pert and the one and only Bill Woodman.


Just like comics nerds: a beautiful day outside, the kinda day Mom says to go out and play.

But noooo!

On Sunday, hundreds of people showed up to hang out inside the Ocean Gateway complex on Casco Bay -- with 100 creators displaying their wares, and hundreds more kids, parents, teens, cosplay fans, and curiosity seekers checking out the merchandise -- all sharing their love of comics at the fourth Maine Comics Arts Festival.

Here are a few photos from the event.



Jason Viola and Cara Bean.



The guy at the next table: Maine's Maddest Cartoonist: my pal Jeff Pert.


The media was there!


Fellas, could you stop drawing in your sketchbooks and say hello?


Corbett Features: Brian Codagnone and Barry Corbett.



My friend Alex Cox represented the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund. Alex is the Deputy Director of the CBLDF.


Comics power couple: Shelli Paroline and Braden Lamb.



Love this WPMG logo dog!



Above: Bob Flynn, of Heeby Jeeby Comics, draws!



Ben Bishop promotes his new LOST TRAIL book.



Marek Bennett signs books with the Trees and Hills Group.



The line of people for Kate Beaton went out the door.


John Green, Dave Roman and Raina Telegemeier.



Tom Pappalardo and Matt Smith.



Rel and Megan Brennan




The guy at the next table: Maine's Maddest Cartoonist: my pal Jeff Pert.


Above: the way my table looked. I had some books and magnets from Isabella Bannerman to sell, as well as comics and minis of my own.



The view from my table.

It was great to get to see Brooke McEldowney walk in. I appreciate the time that David Kender spent telling me about the origins of the Boston Comics Roundtable

And, of course, a tip of the hat to Rick Lowell for producing this terrific event!



5 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun!
Wish I could've gone!!!
I want a copy of your RACONTEUR!!!

Mark Anderson said...

It looks like a ton of fun! Wish I coulda gone this year!

Barry Corbett said...

Hi Mike. It was great hanging with you guys and your retro iconography.

isy said...

Thanks for the news and photos! It looks so nice and civilized. Since it was in Maine, I thought you'd all be sitting on a windy pier.

Dan Reynolds said...

I always wait to get an invitation to this fun event, but, the call never comes!